Are you like my husband when he became a senior? He did not apply for a Senior Citizen’s Identification Card until after about 2 years of being such. Perhaps, initially, he was in denial. However, when he gradually realized the big discounts in his maintenance medicines and in fine dining restaurants which he missed compared to his colleagues, off he went to the Office for Senior Citizen Affairs (OSCA) of our town!
I’m a bit different. I was still in denial turning 60 yo but looked forward to obtain my SC ID and avail of all the perks! I have been a law-abiding tax payer and it was the appropriate time for me to enjoy my rights as a senior. Who likes long lines in the airport/fastfood counter/grocery/other counters? So being senior is fine, especially when the counter person asks for my card to check if I am really senior! LOL
Anyway, regardless of your mindset, I believe you earned your senior rights as a good Filipino citizen so avail of it, especially those related to health and leisure!
I will only concentrate on leisure rights in this post but you can check out Republic Act No. 9994 in the web for more information.
- DOMESTIC TRANSPORTATION PRIVILEGES
- 20% discount and VAT1 exemption for air and sea travel, including advanced booking;
- 20% discount and VAT exemption on fare in public railways, including LRT2, MRT3 and PNR4;
- 20% discount and VAT exemption on fares in buses, jeepneys, taxi, and shuttle services (AUV5).
- HOTELS AND RESTAURANTS
- Discounts on resorts such as beach and mountain resorts;
- Discounts shall be applied on room accommodations and other amenities offered by the establishment, not limited to the following examples:
- Hotel-based parlors and barbershops;
- Restaurants, massage and spa, workout gyms, swimming pools, KTV6 bars, internet facilities.
- RECREATIONAL AND PLACES OF LEISURE
- Discounts on the utilization of services in the form of fees, charges, and rental for sports facilities or equipment;
- Discounts on ballroom dancing, yoga, badminton courts, bowling lanes, table or lawn tennis, workout gyms, and martial arts facilities
- ADMISSION FEE PRIVILEGES
- Discounts on admission fees charged by theaters, cinema houses, and concert halls;
- Discounts on other similar places of culture, leisure, and amusement such as museums and parks.
- EXPRESS LANE PRIVILEGES – These shall be provided in all private, banking, commercial, and government establishments; in the absence thereof, priority shall be given them.
Did you find this post informative? Please scroll below and click the “Like” tab and “Facebook” to share this post. I would like to hear from you too. Simply scroll to the bottom of this post to “Leave a Reply” and enter your comment in the box. Do not forget to follow me by clicking “Follow” on the lower right corner of your gadget. Thank you.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
1VAT stands for Value-Added Tax. It is a form of sales tax on consumption levied on the sale of good or properties and services in the Philippines and on the importation of goods into the Philippines, pegged at 12%, based on gross sales or receipts.
2LRT is the abbreviation or informal term for the Manila Light Rail Transit System, a metropolitan rail system serving Metro Manila in the Philippines.
3MRT stands for the Manila Metro Rail Transit System, also known as the MRT Line 3, MRT-3 or Metrostar Express. It is a rapid transit system, servicing Metro Manila, Philippines with 13 stations and runs along Epifanio de los Santos Avenue (EDSA).
4PNR is the abbreviation for the Philippine National Railways, a state-owned railway company in the Philippines which operates one commuter rail service in Metro Manila, CALABARZON and the Bicol Region.
5AUV stands for Asian Utility Vehicle, an affordable, simple vehicle for basic utility, public transport or shuttle services.
6KTV is the abbreviation for Karoeke TV, a form of interactive entertainment developed in Japan, available for use at home, or in karoeke bars/boxes with private rooms which a group of people can rent to sing along with recorded songs using a microphone, along with the enjoyment of food and drinks.