Are you like my husband when he became a senior? He did not apply for a Senior Citizen’s Identification Card until after about 2 years of being such. Perhaps, initially, he was in denial. However, when he gradually realized the big discounts in his maintenance medicines and in fine dining restaurants which he missed compared to his colleagues, off he went to the Office for Senior Citizen Affairs (OSCA) of our town!
I’m a bit different. I was still in denial turning 60 yo but looked forward to obtain my SC ID and avail of all the perks! I have been a law-abiding tax payer and it was the appropriate time for me to enjoy my rights as a senior. Who likes long lines in the airport/fastfood counter/grocery/other counters? So being senior is fine, especially when the counter person asks for my card to check if I am really senior! LOL
Anyway, regardless of your mindset, I believe you earned your senior rights as a good Filipino citizen so avail of it, especially those related to health and leisure!
I will only concentrate on leisure rights in this post but you can check out Republic Act No. 9994 in the web for more information.
- DOMESTIC TRANSPORTATION PRIVILEGES
- 20% discount and VAT exemption for air and sea travel, including advanced booking;
- 20% discount and VAT exemption on fare in public railways, including LRT, MRT and PNR;
- 20% discount and VAT exemption on fares in buses, jeepneys, taxi, and shuttle services (AUV).
- HOTELS AND RESTAURANTS
- Discounts on resorts such as beach and mountain resorts;
- Discounts shall be applied on room accommodations and other amenities offered by the establishment, not limited to the following examples:
- Hotel-based parlors and barbershops;
- Restaurants, massage and spa, workout gyms, swimming pools, KTV bars, internet facilities.
- RECREATIONAL AND PLACES OF LEISURE
- Discounts on the utilization of services in the form of fees, charges, and rental for sports facilities or equipment;
- Discounts on ballroom dancing, yoga, badminton courts, bowling lanes, table or lawn tennis, workout gyms, and martial arts facilities
- ADMISSION FEE PRIVILEGES
- Discounts on admission fees charged by theaters, cinema houses, and concert halls;
- Discounts on other similar places of culture, leisure, and amusement such as museums and parks.
- EXPRESS LANE PRIVILEGES – These shall be provided in all private, banking, commercial, and government establishments; in the absence thereof, priority shall be given them.
Did you find this post informative? If you have additional information that might be helpful to other SCs, do leave a comment and I will add it to the list! Just scroll to the bottom of this post and type your comment in the designated box. Follow me by clicking the “Follow” bar at the bottom right corner of your gadget. Thank you.